Specifically designed for distance learners, the course comprises two key competencies from the FNS10 Financial Services Training Package. These will train you in the skills required for BAS and payroll work, and partially fulfil the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) education requirements for BAS agent registration (further educational requirements are needed, please contact an Open Colleges Enrolment Consultant for more information), although you should check with the TPB for details of other requirements, such as experience. Those providing BAS services will need to be registered by the TPB.
Our self-paced course allows you to start anytime, study online or by correspondence and progress quickly or take your time. Expert trainers are on hand with helpful feedback, and you'll have all the resources and tools of our OpenSpace online portal at your fingertips.
Potential career outcomes
- BAS Agent
- Payroll Clerk
|Qualification name||FNSSS00004 BAS Agent Registration Skill Set|
|Course duration||Maximum 6 months|
|Assessments||Case Studies, Knowledge tests, Oral questions, Short-Answer Questions|
There are no formal education entry requirements for this course.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course involves reading learning content and undertaking a range of written assessments and engaging in online forums and discussions. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication. As such, entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 12 level.
If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 12 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; or
- 3 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to by Open Colleges.
Access to Accounting Software such as MYOB, Xero, Intuit or Reckon.
You will need access to:
- A digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, image and audio files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
- Software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc. are available as a free download from the internet.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
|FNSBKG404||Carry out business activity and instalment activity statement tasks|
- Identify individual compliance and other requirements
- Recognise and apply GST implications and code transactions
- Report on payroll activities
- Report on other amounts withheld, Pay As You Go (PAYG) instalments and taxes
- Complete and reconcile the Activity Statement
- Lodge Activity Statement
|FNSBKG405||Establish and maintain a payroll system|
- Record payroll data
- Payroll preparation
- Handle payroll enquiries
- Maintain payroll
Jasvir has worked in training, accounting and lectureship in Sydney and overseas for over 9 years. She is also involved with an accounting firm, which provides bookkeeping and accounting services. She has managed small businesses’ accounting and bookkeeping across many industries. She has lectured at university level in Sydney and overseas for many years. Jasvir has vast accounting and management experience and holds a Diploma of Training and Assessment, Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, a Master of Accounting, Advanced Diploma of Accounting, BAS Agent registrations skills set, Advanced Diploma of Management, a Masters in Economics and a Bachelors in Commerce.
Enrol Online via EduPay - the Trusted and Secure enrolment gateway preferred by thousands of students
Fortnightly and monthly payment plans are also available when you pay online.
Click Enrol Now and choose a payment plan or call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details.
* To be eligible, students wishing to apply for the payment plan must meet selected approval criteria.