If you are hoping to get into this lucrative industry, this course will prepare you in all the areas you need to know to work effectively as pet groomer. Focusing on dogs and cats, you'll learn the basics of the canine and feline species, their breeds, personalities, anatomies and potential health issues.
As well as this, you will be taken through the professional grooming process, learning all about modern grooming tools, how to bathe an animal, drying and cutting and so much more. The course will even take you through the grooming process for certain breeds, including what do to if you come across an animal with behavioural issues.
For those who wish to open their own business, the Pet Groomer Certificate course also covers the basics of how a grooming business is run, and what happens behind the scenes. You can even connect with others who may be doing Animal Care courses all over Australia via the Open Space learning portal to share your experiences, learning and business goals.
If you are hoping to start you own grooming business, or prepping yourself to work in an established one, this course is the perfect solution for you. You can complete this course at your own pace, around your current work, family or study commitments, paying as you go or upfront.
Potential career outcomes
- Canine Groomer
- Feline Groomer
- Pet Groomer
|Course name||Pet Groomer Certificate|
|Course duration||Maximum 18 months|
|Assessments||Multiple choice questions|
There are no formal education entry requirements for this course.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need access to a computer and the internet and have basic computing skills. Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 2GB of RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher.
- Access to printer and associated software
- Access to scanner and associated software
- Digital imaging software
- File compression software.
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
Mac OS users:
- Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
Students will need the following to complete this course:
- Universal comb
- Dog nail trimmers
- Dog slicker brush
- Electric clippers
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
|Introduction to dogs and cats|
- This module covers how a grooming business is run, what happens behind the scenes and different ways of establishing a grooming business. You will explore the canine family and discuss different types of dog breeds and their personalities. Cats are also discussed at length, followed by anatomy and health issues of both dogs and cats.
- This module will get you started on the grooming basics by introducing you to the broad range of equipment and tools used to groom pets. You will be able to fully prepare a dog for grooming, including covering the process of bathing and drying. Finally, you will cover the basic cutting procedures.
|Dog groups and breeds: 1|
- This module covers the grooming standards for a variety of groups. First you will explore the history of each group followed by the differences in the grooming procedures for each breed.
|Dog groups and breeds: 2|
- This module discusses the basic personalities of dogs and how to recognise them to help you in their handling. We will show you how to protect yourself and others when dealing with dogs that have behavioural problems. You'll cover more detail about cats and their personalities, including petting and controlling cats. Finally, you'll learn the specifics of grooming cats and kittens.
- In this module you will explore the areas necessary to start your own business including pricing etc. You will review all the procedures, techniques and clips. This module will become your mini-reference guide.
What are my payment options?
Pay in full
If you pay your course fees up-front in full, you’ll benefit from a discount. When you pay in full, we don’t have to spend extra money on administration for tasks such as payment plan processing. Instead, we get to pass this saving onto you in the form of a discount.
Pay for you course in weekly or fortnightly instalments. By paying in instalments, you can schedule your payments around your regular outgoings and get ahead without breaking the bank. Open Colleges payment plans are interest-free.
ZipMoney Payment Plan
If you need a little more flexibility in your finances, and want to pay off your course fees over a longer period of time, you can switch to a zipMoney payment plan. Essentially, zipMoney pays your course fees for you, and you pay this loan back over 24, 36 or 48 months. As long as you are eligible, you can switch to a zipMoney plan at any time.
- DIY grooming DVD
Let’s get started
Pay for your course securely online in 3 simple steps
Fill in your personal details
Select your payment option
Add your billing address
Weekly and fortnightly payment plans are also available when you pay online.
Click Enrol Now and choose a payment plan or call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details.
* To be eligible, students wishing to apply for the payment plan must meet selected approval criteria.