The BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management has been designed to turn you into a professional Manager, working to inspire, motivate and get the very best out of employees, while at the same time meeting and exceeding business expectations.
During your studies you will learn how to:
- Use emotional intelligence to understand team members, learn how to work with them and relate to them. Emotional intelligence will also help you to draw out the best in staff, and to resolve conflict.
- Support the recruitment, selection and induction of staff, lead and manage team effectiveness, and manage people performance.
- Undertake project work, manage budgets and financial plans, oversee quality customer service, and facilitate continuous improvement within a business environment.
- Develop and manage operational plans, and create and roll-out workplace learning.
The course is delivered online, so there are no classrooms and no deadlines. You simply study wherever you want, whenever you want, on any device (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop computer).
The BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management is nationally recognised, so you can use it to gain work all across Australia.
Potential career outcomes
- Branch Manager
- Business Manager
- Department Manager
- Operations/Facilities Manager
- Production Manager
- Retail Manager
- Store Manager
- Team Leader
|Qualification name||BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management|
|Course duration||Maximum 18 months|
|Assessments||Case studies, Portfolio of evidence, Projects, Short-answer questions, Video, Written reports|
You will need to have completed:
- Year 11 and a minimum of one year of vocational experience, OR
- A nationally recognised qualification at the Certificate III level or higher, OR
- At least six (or more) months of relevant vocational experience in a team leader or supervisor role.
Team leader or supervisor roles include roles whereby learners have assumed responsibility for providing leadership, guidance and support to others as well as having some responsibility for organising and monitoring the output of their team.
You will need to be at least 18 years old.
This course requires you to read comprehensive learner workbooks, undertake a range of written assessments and engage in online discussion forums. Furthermore, the delivery mode relies on the extensive use of written communication.
As such, entry to the course requires English proficiency to Year 11 level or equivalent:
- A qualification at the Certificate III level or higher; or
- 2 years of work experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
Open Colleges recognises that not all people are able to read, write and perform calculations to the same standard. See the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Considerations section for more information on tools, resources and support services provided to by Open Colleges.
You will need access to a computer and the internet and have basic computing skills. Minimum specifications for your computer are:
- Microsoft Office 2010 or equivalent
- Broadband internet connection
- 2GB of RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Adobe Reader XI or equivalent
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher.
- Access to printer and associated software
- Access to scanner and associated software
- Digital imaging software
- File compression software.
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
Mac OS users:
- Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- 1 Ghz or faster processer (2GHz recommended)
You will need access to a digital video recording device and/or a digital camera and associated software to save and upload video, audio and image files to OpenSpace. Many mobile phones and smart phones include this technology.
You will also need access to software to view online videos and images. Software such as Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer etc are available as a download from the internet.
Some assessments include a component for you to record an audio or video. The requirements for these vary depending on the assessment. If you are unable to conduct these in the workplace and this is a requirement of the assessment, you have the option of engaging with friends, family and other students to record this via other means, such as Skype.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies. You can access the Language, Literacy and Numeracy tool here.
|BSBWHS501||Ensure a safe workplace|
- Establish and maintain an WHS system
- Establish and maintain participative arrangements for the management of WHS
- Establish and maintain procedures for identifying hazards and assessing and controlling risks
- Establish and maintain a quality WHS management system
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work|
- Define project
- Develop project plan
- Administer and monitor project
- Finalise project
- Review project
|BSBFIM501||Manage budgets and financial plans|
- Plan financial management approaches
- Implement financial management approaches
- Make informed decisions
- Review and evaluate financial management processes
|BSBCUS501||Manage quality customer service|
- Implement plans to meet internal and external customer requirements
- Ensure delivery of quality products and services
- Deliver products and services to customer specifications
- Monitor, adjust and review customer service policy and procedures
- Make decisions to overcome problems
|BSBMGT516||Facilitate continuous improvement|
- Lead continuous improvement systems and processes
- Develop strategies to ensure that team members are actively encouraged to participate in decision-making processes
- Establish systems to ensure that the organisation's continuous improvement processes
- Monitor and adjust performance strategies
- Manage opportunities for further improvement
|BSBHRM405||Support the recruitment, selection and induction of staff|
- Plan for recruitment
- Plan for selection
- Support selection process
- Induct successful candidate
|BSBWOR502||Lead and manage team effectiveness|
- Establish team performance plan
- Develop and facilitate team cohesion
- Facilitate teamwork
- Liaise with stakeholders
|BSBMGT502||Manage people performance|
- Allocate work
- Assess performance
- Provide feedback
- Manage follow-up
|BSBLDR501||Develop and use emotional intelligence|
- Identify the impact of own emotions on others in the workplace
- Recognise and appreciate the emotional strengths and weaknesses of others
- Promote the development of emotional intelligence in others
- Utilise emotional intelligence to maximise team outcomes
|BSBMGT517||Manage operational plan|
- Develop operational plan
- Plan and manage resource acquisition
- Monitor and review operational performance
|BSBLDR502||Lead and manage effective workplace relationships|
- Manage ideas and information
- Establish systems to develop trust and confidence
- Manage the development and maintenance of networks and relationships
- Manage difficulties to achieve positive outcomes
|BSBLED501||Develop a workplace learning environment|
- Create learning opportunities
- Facilitate and promote learning
- Monitor and improve learning effectiveness
What are my payment options?
Pay in full
If you pay your course fees up-front in full, you’ll benefit from a discount. When you pay in full, we don’t have to spend extra money on administration for tasks such as payment plan processing. Instead, we get to pass this saving onto you in the form of a discount.
Pay for you course in weekly or fortnightly instalments. By paying in instalments, you can schedule your payments around your regular outgoings and get ahead without breaking the bank. Open Colleges payment plans are interest-free.
ZipMoney Payment Plan
If you need a little more flexibility in your finances, and want to pay off your course fees over a longer period of time, you can switch to a zipMoney payment plan. Essentially, zipMoney pays your course fees for you, and you pay this loan back over 24, 36 or 48 months. As long as you are eligible, you can switch to a zipMoney plan at any time.
Natasha started working in vocational education in 2008 and has worked in both training and educational management roles in Australia and internationally. In addition to working in educational management, she has also worked in the legal, insurance and mining industries in a variety of roles. Natasha holds a Master of Business and a Master of Learning Sciences and Technology. She also holds a number of vocational qualifications in business administration, leadership and management, human resources, finance and workplace health and safety.
Students of this course will receive a membership to these organisation(s)
The Institute of Managers and Leaders is a non-profit Membership organisation and the gold standard-setting professional body for management and leadership competence and excellence. IML passionately believes that great leadership is the first step towards a better world and for 76 years, they have been supporting professionals on their leadership journey in keeping with the vision – “Creating better managers and leaders for a better society”.
When you complete your first module, you will receive a 12-month affiliate membership with the Institute of Managers and Leaders (previously known as the Australian Institute of Management). IML is a key industry membership organisations for managers at a variety of levels. IML membership at this level provides learners with a many benefits such as access to e-newsletters, blogs, events, and online resources.
Let’s get started
Pay for your course securely online in 3 simple steps
Fill in your personal details
Select your payment option
Add your billing address
Weekly and fortnightly payment plans are also available when you pay online.
Click Enrol Now and choose a payment plan or call an Education Advisor on 1300 161 345 for more details.
* To be eligible, students wishing to apply for the payment plan must meet selected approval criteria.